That Oprah Magazine Fiasco and VBL | Basically a Bunch of Big Bellies



So I'll just say what everyone is thinking. Who the HELL answered that question in the +Oprah Winffrey  O Magazine article? Why were her narrow views given a voice? And who approved that ish? Motha Oprah?

Here's a re-post from @tamaranitai



My initial post (which most you will still read) is pretty positive but I had to address yesterday madness. When are people going to learn to mind their own business? Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. However, if you have no relevance, expertise or actual substance to add to an issue, it's best you stay mute. Nowhere and I do mean nowhere in the Book of Beauty does it say that "if (and only if) you have a flat stomach" should you be allowed to SLAY. To whom ever decided that their sage advice was needed, I'd like you to look in the eyes of your fluffy daughter, favorite niece, little cousin or best friend and recite those exact words. Imagine the disappointing look in their eyes as they come to grips with the reality, that the very person whom is supposed to love and encourage them, is dismantling their form of beauty. Doesn't feel good does it? This is exactly what most women felt when reading your comments. Disappointed and hurt, not because of what you said but because you represent a great majority of consumers who probably share the same sentiment.


My good friend in beauty +GabriellaGlamour (and she's even more beautiful in person) is serving so much life with her crop top slay.


But OH do my Kurvy Girls bounce back! +Twitter, +Facebook, +Instagram, and a multitude of other social media sites were flooded with copious crop top wearing beauties. I couldn't have been more proud. From the smallest of the smalls to size 32+, these ladies rocked their crops. The world is definitely taking note that no longer will larger ladies be the brunt of fat jokes and shady fat shaming covered in "expert fashion advice". The jokes on you this time!



Drops Mic...



Now Back to our regularly scheduled program before I was so rudely interrupted. The VBL

Who would have thought that the visible belly line (better know as VBL) was a thing? Recently I have noticed more women; curvy and straight sized, talking about the VBL. And apparently that one 'O Magzine' staffer felt the same way. Go figure. As some of you may know, in recent months there have been several articles and discussions about the acceptance of diversity within plus sizes. Fat Girl Flow recently pinned an article about this very subject. I'll say this as plainly as possible. We need more variety Period! That really should be the end of this post. Sadly it isn't.

Like many curvy women I was raised and incessantly told how beautiful I was and that still continues to this day. I dressed and wore the clothes I felt were beautiful and complimented my shape. I never really fussed over how big my belly looked under my bathing suit or how giggly my arms were while waving good bye. All I knew and still know to be true is that I am beautiful. Never has my size gotten in the way of feeling beautiful or even determining what I will wear. If it fits and looks good on me then hey, I'm wearing it. It's such a relief that designers such as self are beginning to produce better quality plus fashion and what's even more exciting, it's sexy!

Why is my tummy such a BIG issue? No, really. Why? I'll wait...

Every woman wants to feel beautiful and sexy in the clothing she wears. For so long the curvier woman was encouraged to cover up, maybe show some cleavage, a little thigh but you dare not share that mid section. It is far past time for mainstream media to come to grips with our "over sized" midsections. The reality is most women have tummies, either from over eating, child birth, just being all out amazing at life, or simply breathing. Almost all of us have them. So why are we covering up? We're in the majority. So rock your curves. Wear that crop top. Strut in that new Bikini. It's OK let them stare.

On a lighter note, it is very refreshing to see more positive images of larger women and men in the media these days. In years past fat was always associated with lonely, lazy, funny, but definitely not fashionable. So I love seeing the SEXY images being displayed in the media today. Unfortunately, we still have work to do. I still have work to do.



Below are but a few images of beautiful women large and small displaying their beauty in all its crop top glory. Take a peak if you will.



 Plus Size model @Jennifertealey (on IG) is no angel because she's Badass
I just had to let my roundness come through @Kurvyetiquette (on IG and Twitter)


Go Big or go home. @veganintheair (on IG) definitely let that staffer know how she felt.
 
 
 
 
 
Get connected with these ladies
 


 
 

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: