7 Unapologetic Rules For Flying While Fat | By a Fellow Fluffy Girl



 Remember that one scene from that one movie when Jill Scott was asked to get off the plane due to her extra cushion. Her in-flight neighbor was not having it. Here's the big question. Was the neighbor wrong for requesting that she move? Did the flight attendant handle the situation in the best manner? Unfortunately, I've seen this scenario play out and it's never a good look for anyone. The passenger making the complaint looks insensitive and quite douchy. The 'assailant' with more than "normal" body mass appears to not be aware of their own girth and often feels immediate shame and embarrassment. It's a lose lose for both parties.

Watch Here

THE SITUATION

In a Facebook group that I frequent, this situation was posted:


What would you have done?


First I must applaud this young lady for handling the situation with a such decorum. Such grace and resourcefulness is not always used in situations such as this. I know several people who would have caused just as big a scene as the young ladies under question in this post. Personally even as a fluffy woman I've dealt with disgruntled fat flyers too. Once or twice I've offered my assistance to other fluffy flyers. I was always met with the same "I don't need a seat belt extension" or "I'm fine in the middle". Let's be clear, no one likes the middle. They weren't fooling me but I left well enough alone and went on to enjoy my comfy flight. While traveling, which I do quite frequently, I'm pretty comfortable for the most part and I make sure to not infringe on anyone else's personal space. On one of my several international flights, I was in an uncomfortable  2nd seat of a 4 row seat. From that experience I learned how to better accommodate myself as a larger woman. I  have never had those issues again. Below are my rules of thumb while traveling.
 
 
 7 Unapologetic Rules For Traveling While Fat
 
 
1. Ask for a seat belt extension as you are boarding the plane. It's understandable that some may find it a bit uncomfortable to ask for an extension. In order to alleviate the problem request it as you are moving to your seat. If you are not bold enough to ask for an extender, write down your request. When boarding a plane there are always one or two flight attendants greeting passengers as they board. Simply write down your seat number (If you aren't flying Southwest Airlines) and your request for an extender belt. Pass this note along as you are boarding. Trust me, moments later your extender will arrive with no fuss or glaring eyes.
 
2. Wide hips need more room. Male or female I've witnessed and experienced this struggle. If you're stuck in a middle seat I truly feel your pain. Simply ask your flight-mate if they'd b gracious enough to switch from the isle seat. You never know until you ask. This is for you as well as them. They will be much more comfortable if you switched. If they say no, that's fine. Don't get dramatic it's their prerogative. Why the isle seat? The isle seat is ideal for large body frames, both width and height. For us 'hippy' individuals this is your ideal seat. Your left side is free and unencumbered by another person, which gives you a few more inches to work with. Unless you have a much larger frame there shouldn't be any worry about FA's not being able to push the cart up and down the isle. Should you need a little more room without purchasing an additional seat, then the back row and of course the exit rows are your alternative seating destinations.
 
3. Other than flying first class the exit rows are a big guy or gals flight Mecca. Yes, in case of an unexpected landing you'll have to assist other passengers off the plane. Leg room for assistance? Sounds like an even trade to me. If you can book early and secure an exit row seat, enjoy. However, still be mindful of those next to you. This is a row where the window seat is OK, even if you have more hips and dips.
4. Check your attitude at the gate. Honestly no one cares that you have insecurities about flying. No one wants to hold your hand either. Everyone on that plane has a destination and their own agenda, problems and concerns swirling through their heads. How you feel about flying is definitely not one of them. If you step on the plane with a defensive attitude you just might get one back. Everyone wont be as civil or discrete as the young lady from the scenario above. Board. Find your seat. Get a drink. Relax. Enjoy your flight. I'll say it again. Check your attitude at the gate.
5. Buying an extra seat may be worth it in the end. On an airplane, train or bus everyone has to share the same space. We're all cramped together. Why make t worse by trying to fit your large frame in a seat exponentially too small for you? Yes it cost more but us 'fluffies' have all been exposed to the fat tax. No, they're not going to make airplanes with larger seats in coach. Let's just dead that argument now. If anything they're figuring out ways to fit more people in the same space. So for the sake of sparing you from going through a similar situation like Jill Scott, get the extra seat or upgrade. This option is not for everyone but if you know you NEED more space this is you best bet, even in business or first class.
6. You can always upgrade to business class or purchase a first class ticket. Trust me the extra room is a God send. You could still end up with a flight-mate and the same rules apply (see #1-2) in business or fist class. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but you'll be flying in comfort. More legroom, wider seats and sometimes complementary drinks, it's worth it. Who wouldn't want to upgrade? Often, if you get to the gate early enough and ask very nicely about upgrades (you might get one for free), you'll be surprised that it's sometimes only a difference of $12 to $50. This option isn't for everyone, however to those who can, I highly suggest this.
7. Unless you're Richard Branson or any other billionaire, I'm pretty sure this isn't your plane. Having a flight-mate is inevitable. More than likely they won't be plus size, fat, fluffy, chunky or whatever word you like to use to refer to your large frame (We'll discuss why in another post). And guess what. They don't care that you're fat. Everyone just wants to arrive at their destination just like you. Put the arm rest down. No matter how much hip you have it must go down. It serves as a personal space divider and of course an ARM  REST. In addition, I know you may have larger arms but find a way to share the arm rest. No need for "Elbow Wars 2015". If you find yourself encumbering on their space, don't hesitate to ask. A simple "Do you have enough room?" can go a long way. They'll be surprised that you even thought to ask.
 
Should airlines begin to better accommodate larger sizes? Of course, but until then I live by these rules. These are merely suggestions, that are solely my opinion and ones that I use for my own frequent travels. The suggestions can be applied when traveling by bus, plane or train. They ensure that I have a comfortable and drama free trip. I'm more concerned about my own comfort but if this helps my neighbor as well, then we both win. Yes, some will be dissatisfied no matter what but these steps serve as a guide for those plus size guys and gals who are unaware of the alternatives that can be used to better enjoy their travels and avoid potentially embarrassing or disastrous situations.

 The photos in this post are not owned by KEBB or Because I Travel International/Domestic.
 

Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: