Bustin' Out and Taking Risk







At the age of 30, I think I can honestly say I'm pretty liberal with my thoughts, style, and assortment of activities and friends that i have. 
Because I'm a stylist I'm always taking inventory of the outfits that i create. Many of my clients prefer to remain some what conservative. This is understandable because many of my clients now are working professionals and their environment doesn't cause for them to be too risky with their ensemble choice. However, i wonder how much of society's pressures have made women feel the need to present themselves a certain way because of the potential back lash.  I thought about how this plays into my own life. By day I'm an educator who while stylish in the classroom i keep it pretty mild.  Yes i have days where a pop of color or an a exposed key hole or a shorter length skirt may turn a head. And sometimes this carries into my weekend and styling. Yes, I'm versatile in my styling but it's only natural that our daily lives are reflected in our dress.
So this past weekend I decided to call upon my "girls". After attending an awesome wedding in west Palm beach Florida, i was definitely feeling some kind of way. Was it all the happiness, love, excitement, sexiness or quite possibly the uncountable glasses of Merlot.  I that i needed to try something new. Be a little risky. Step outside my own box, because sometimes it isn't others who box us in, but our selves.

Now I'm not saying that taking risk in fashion is about showing skin nor is it all about being super sexy. But it is about embracing something that normally wouldn't be worn by you. Daily we deal with the pressures to look a certain way in order to maintain our life style. Due to treat of others and their reaction. But i say it's time to let their voices fall by the way side. Time to listen to self a little more. Maybe you only wear black because people say it's slimming,  continue to wear the same hair style Due to complacency or excluding certain styles and dress cuts because some one else prefers it on you. 

My personal box has been sex appeal.  I love dressing, hell I'm doing it for a living now.  Although may don a low cut shirt or somewhat skirt i tend to keep it pretty safe. This past weekend i decided let go of the out side voices and i even quieted my own. Slipped on a cute bra from lane Bryant, a cute black and white skirt paired with a matching fedora. And enjoyed every minute of my life out side of that box i put myself in. 


Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: